Friday, August 16, 2013

Restaurant Review: Hong Kong City in Guayaquil, Ecuador



Okay, I now have a new favorite Chinese restaurant in Guayaquil, Ecuador: Hong Kong City Restaurant. The reason can be explained in two simple words, Dim Sum. Yeah, there is Dim Sum in Ecuador.

There are a lot of chifas in Ecuador - basically oriental style foods that primarily sell different versions of chaulafan (fried rice) and tallarines (noodle) dishes. But low and behold a bunch of us were wondering down the main drag of touristy Urdesa Central, Victor Emilio Estrada, and saw a sign for Dim Sum. It was an immediate date for that evening.

Sure enough, Hong Kong City is a smallish place but a huge menu. It has the normal range of soups, rice and noodle dishes, but also has three pages of dim sum recipes.

The first real surprise, two ordered soup - one a won ton soup and the other an egg drop soup. These bad boys were huge! In fact we asked the waiter to bring some smaller bowls for me and another to sample the egg drop of my wife, Lisa. We got a nice cup each and it barely dented the massive bowl she had. And this egg drop was something else, with lots of  chicken, tofu and other ingredients along with the traditional chicken stock and eggs. Yum! It was a meal itself but more was to come.

We tried the spring rolls. They were refreshingly different since it seemed they were spiced with some sort of five-spice blend. They were good as something different, although I think I will stay with more traditional spring rolls as my typical favorite.

Of course Dim Sum was on the menu, and I loved my shrimp dumplings. We also ordered some main courses to carryout for lunches. I had curried chicken that was a tad mild, but once fired up with a bit of hot sauce it met my fire standards.

The best surprise was the bill. The total for a massive soup, an order of Dim Sum, spring rolls and two main dishes, plus two beers for me and two Coke Zeros for Lisa was $28, and we eked two more meals out of it. So three meals for two people for less than $30 is top notch in my book!

Hong Kong City Restaurant
VE Estrada 1210, Guayaquil, Guayas, 
(593) (4) 2381800

No comments:

Post a Comment